Saturday, July 24, 2010

Running with Tot

Ever had to run with a stroller? I don't recommend it for any newbies to the sport of running. Sure it may look easy, but it's one more element that needs to be focused on.

The most obvious hindrance is that one if not both of your arms are forced to stay in one position out infront of your body. For me this threw off my rythm. Something about my arms pumping back and forth seems to help keep my legs going at a steady beat. I tried running with one hand on the stroller but felt I was loosing control of the stroller.

The three wheel design of the stroller makes me question who the engineers really are. The wheels do not pivit, which I understand is a safety factor. Think about it, if you are going at a fast pace and the front wheel were to turn, the whole stoller could easily topple over. The problem with the stroller not piviting is that one must push down on the handle bars to turn the stroller no matter how slight the turn may be. Which made for a fun time while we were on a portion of my run route that has a curvy sidewalk that sways back and forth between the road and a field.

I also found that I needed to be very aware of the edge of the pavement when it came to the back wheels. A few times one of the wheels would fall off the pavement and the whole stroller pulled that direction. Nothing like having to slow down or even stop just to get the stroller back on track.

I felt the entire time my stride was shorter than normal. And my focus was on everything but my running. I forgot which minute I was on, if I should be walking or runnig, and if I was on my 5th or 6th jog section. I do not feel that I did the best I could have done today and am dissapointed in my overall work out.

If you are new to running and planning to take a stroller out with you, I would like to recommend that you find another solution. Leave the stroller pushing to those who are more experienced.

1 comment:

  1. I was not aware of the whole not pivoting thing. That is ridculous!!!

    ReplyDelete