Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The First Race Curse!?!?!

I am one month away from my first 5K!!!! I couldn't be more excited. Time really isn't that important to me as much as running the entire distance has been. So I have been focusing on my distance.

Because the last couple of weeks I have been inconsistent with my distance, I felt that it was time to check in with my abilities and see where I need to focus the next month of training on. I met up with my friend Rhondah to run a 5K distance along a trail in Carmel Beach. The trail consisted of hard packed dirt and some gravel. This was a thrilling idea to me because I spend most of my time on pavement and have been envious of trail runners.

The view was beautiful. Instead of seeing the same 3 floor plans repeated 100+ times, I was able to see water, beach and a variety of homes. Other then attempting to dodge poison oak, the trail was wonderful. (Please note that at the time of writing this, I am unaware if the poison oak got me or not.)

I get to mile marker 2.3 and that's when I heard it, POP!!! The sound followed by intense pain shooting across your ankle and up your shin. I am unsure if the sound was really audible or imaginary but I landed on the side of my foot and my ankle decided to roll out.

Attempting to hold back my tears of fear I limped the last mile back to the car, stretched the best that I could and then drove home to ice my ankle. One month until my first race and I'm struck with my first real running injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment